10.8.09

COMMENTARIES, 7

They asked me to tell them anything I saw, anything to do with the man they think was seen around and about. Hair colour, they asked about hair colour. Different kinds of clothes. It sounded on occasion like they were trying to catch me out. But I understand. I doubt I was any help. It wasn’t long after breakfast. I was still trying to wake up. But I do remember seeing a man, a man who stood out to me. He was wearing a woolen hat, that I do remember, it was covering his ears, and I remember because my ears were freezing at the time. I remember because I was cursing myself for leaving the house insufficiently prepared. But I couldn’t stay in any longer, she was going to make me burst. I couldn’t even get down my bacon, she kept going on about the state of the nation, the kind of direction we were heading in, and how come Carl across the street could find some work and I couldn’t. I’ll tell you why, like I didn’t tell her. It’s because of where he puts his nose, that’s Carl in a cup for you, and where he also places other parts of his person, when he thinks no one’s looking, when he thinks no one knows. But a lot of us know, it’s not news anymore. Some women out there value his sort, that’s all, while the others of us on this side of the street are waiting. Waiting, waiting, waiting.