28.4.09

ANZAC DAY ASS

JR - Anzac day ass in abundance - I see Britain by night nearly everywhere I look - Maybe I should have stayed in the city - So tell me, why celebrate so much a sickening defeat? - Here's wily Winston ordering more boys to their slaughter - And they get called heroes but why? - Giddy victims with dreams of adventure if you ask me - Only so much you'd take of boring bare plains in a newly conquered nobody's land - Let's get back to old dart they say - Come on, you antipodeans are still doing it now, capping off university years with a european camp out in some part of old mama for months on end - I've seen earls' court and shepherd's bush let me tell you - And when I think of this I keep seeing the turks waiting up above the beach nigh on a hundred year ago now - I see the dawn and they getting their first brew of coffee going - And their bafflement mixed with surprise at looking down at white boys trudging up the still damp sand - And the turks they pick them off like pigeons - Or wooden ducks at a carnival - And they call this the site of a country's birth? - I don't know about you but I wouldn't ever be calling myself an australian when that red white and blue of the union jack keeps hogging a corner of the flag - Come on now, JR, we were brought up better than that - LA